The following press release was submitted to Smith County Insider by Smith County Road Superintendent Steve Coble.
I, Steve Coble, am announcing my candidacy for re-election for Smith County Road Superintendent’s office on August 6, 2020.
First of all, I would like to thank all the citizens of Smith County for the opportunity to serve as the Road Superintendent for the past ten years. It has truly been an honor to represent Smith County in this capacity.We have made many upgrades to vehicles and equipment in an ever-changing world that meets technology demands every day.
We have a staff of nineteen men and two women, ranging in seniority of one year to forty-one years.
We maintain a road system of over 300 roads, 464 miles. During the past ten years we have been able to rework approximately 123 roads.This year we have been able to resurface (tar and chip) Gill Branch, Barnetts Campground, Denny Branch, Hilltop Circle, Hickman Creek Road North and South, Preston Lane, and Stewart Hollow.We have, also, done small repair work on Holmes Gap, Switchboard, Harris Hollow, and Green Hills.We always have work scheduled, but things change due to weather.With your patience, there is nothing that cannot be accomplished.
I have applied and received a great many state aid grants over the past ten years.These include:
- September 15, 2011 – Little Creek Road, $413,000, Lojac contractor
- June 12, 2013 – Hiwassee Road, $148,012.12, Highway Dept, in house work
- August 5, 2013 – Mulherrin Road/Dyers Branch Road, 217,940.12, Highway Dept, in house work
- August 26, 2013 – Tanglewood Road, $96,800, Lojac contractor
- March 26, 2014 – Webster Road, $41,447.64, Highway Dept, in house work
- April 23, 2014 – Scudder Road,$82,400, Lojac contractor
- October 9, 2015 – Kennys Bend Road, $249,427.75, Lojac contractor
- May 3, 2016 – Maggart Road, $300,485.43, Lojac contractor
- August 18, 2016 – Big CreekRoad, $289,468.86, Lojac contractor
- April 13, 2017 – Bluff Creek Road/Cedar Creek Road, $182,900.56, Lojac contractor
- May 9, 2017 – Shoulders Lane, $141,279.10, MidTenn Concrete contractor
- June 28, 2017 – Gladdice Road, $389,740.86, Vulcan contractor
- August 21, 2018 – Enigma Road, $276,106.67, Vulcan contractor
State aid grant projects since 2009 for bridges include:
- August 31. 2011 – Smith Hollow Bridge, $108,024.22. Mid Tenn Concrete contractor
- July 10, 2013 – Scudder Road Bridge, $57,538.78, Mid Tenn Concrete contractor
- November 12, 2013 – Maggart Road Bridge, $280,639.52, Mid Tenn contractor
- January 6, 2015 – Reece Hollow Bridge, $332,682.54, Mid Tenn Concrete contractor
- January 22,2015 – Sullivans Bend Bridge, $315,250.44 Eatherly Group contractor
- February 9, 2016 – Jonesboro Bridge, $188,496.60 Mid Tenn Concrete contractor
- September 5, 2017 – Nickajack Bridge, $205,318.82, Mid Tenn Concrete contractor
- April 24, 2018 – Friendship Hollow Bridge, $260,504.71, Mid Tenn Concrete contractor
The total bridge and road grants over the past ten years is $4,577,464.74.
As always, the door to my office is always open for residents to come by and discuss county road business.