by Mary Parker Draper, Extension Agent – Smith County
- A note from the Smith County Extension Office: The Smith County Extension office has been asked to cancel all group meetings until April 30th by the University of Tennessee. We can still do one on one consultation or help as needed. This goes for Agriculture, Family Consumer Science and 4-H. Stay tuned in to our Facebook Page or Instagram account to stay up to date with resources, educational materials, and opportunities to continue to be involved. We apologize for any inconvenience these cancellations or postponements cause, but we want to keep our clientele and community healthy as we figure things out together.
I will be offering a six-week one-hour Tai Chi workshop starting Tuesday, April 7, 2020, and continuing every Tuesday. The workshop will be held at the Smith County Chamber of Commerce, with the exception of April 28th. We will be meeting at the Smith County Ag Center on that day.
Tai Chi from the Arthritis Foundation is designed for individuals with or without, arthritis, rheumatic diseases, or related musculoskeletal conditions primarily characterized by diffuse muscle pain, decreased muscle strength, and fatigue. Individuals with very mild illness, minimal joint involvement, or an active daily routine might find the program challenging. Some generalized muscle soreness or feeling tired from increased activity may be likely. All ages are welcome.
The Program’s Demonstrated Benefits Include:
- Decrease in pain and stiffness of joints
- Improved daily physical functioning
- Improved balance leading to decrease in falling
- Improved abdominal muscle strength
- Improved flexibility
- Increased confidence in one’s ability to exercise
The cost for this workshop is $48. Spaces are limited. Call the Extension Office at 615-735-2900 to register today! The deadline to register is April 2nd.
This week’s Food for Thought recipe for Hornet’s Nest Cake was submitted by Janie Mundy, Defeated FCE Club.
Hornet’s Nest Cake
1 box yellow cake mix
1 box instant vanilla pudding
1½ cup of Butterscotch chips
1½ cup chopped nuts (your choice)
2 cups powdered sugar
6 tablespoons milk
½ teaspoon vanilla
Mix pudding as directed on the box; add eggs. Mix well. Add the cake mix, mixing well. Pour into a greased 9×13 inch pan. Pour Butterscotch chips and nuts on top of batter. Bake 350° for 30-40 minutes. While the cake is baking, mix powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla until smooth. Drizzle over hot cake when the cake is done.