By Mary Parker Draper, Extension Agent – Smith County
Canning time is fast approaching! Mark your calendar for Tuesday, June 15th and Wednesday, June 16th from 10:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. to attend a two-day, fun-filled Canning College workshop. The event will be held at Gordonsville First Baptist Church.
The workshop is only twenty dollars for both days. This includes take home jar(s) and freezer jam, as well as a wealth of knowledge. The workshop will cover the basics of canning and current recommendations for processing food. We will discuss food safety and the science of canning. We will also go through step-by-step processing for water bath canning. Participants will be involved in canning jams and jellies, so please be sure to wear closed toe shoes and comfortable clothes. Participants must pre-register with payment. Space is limited, so call the UT Extension office at 615-735-2900 to reserve your spot by Friday, June 11th!
- Southern Cornbread Salad
- 1 pkg. (8-1/2oz) cornbread/ muffin mix*
- 1 C sour cream
- 1 C mayonnaise
- 1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix*
- 3 lg. tomatoes, seeded & chopped
- 1/2 C chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 C chopped green pepper
- 1 C thinly sliced green onions, divided
- 2 cans (15oz. each) pinto beans*, rinsed & drained
- 2 C shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 cooked & crumbled pieces of bacon
- 3 1/2 C frozen corn, thawed
- *You can also make these items from scratch for a more favorable dish.
Bake cornbread mix as directed on package. Crumble when cool. Mix sour cream, mayonnaise, and salad dressing mix until blended. In a separate bowl, combine tomatoes, peppers, and 1/2 cup green onions. In a 3-quart glass bowl, layer half of each: cornbread, beans, tomato mixture, cheese, bacon, corn, and dressing. Repeat layers. Top with remaining onions. Refrigerate at least 3 hours. Submitted by Anne Waggoner, Grant FCE Club