by Katie Martin, Smith County Extension Agent – 4-H Youth Development
Looking for some summer fun? What about something exciting and fun for your children or grandchildren to do this summer? Look no further than 4-H Camp! 4-H camps offer 4-H’ers a chance to have fun, meet new friends, hang out with old friends, learn new skills and develop positive self-esteem.
Offering youth an exceptional learning experience, 4-H Camp builds self-confidence and maturity and provides youth with the chance to meet and make friends from throughout Tennessee.
4-H Camp registration will open April 3rd for Smith County 4-H’ers and will remain open until the May 8th deadline at our office located at 125 Gordonsville Highway. This year partial scholarships will be available for Junior 4-H camp. Look for scholarship applications on our website: smith.tennesse.edu. Scholarship applications are due by April 30th.
- Junior 4-H camp for 4-H’ers in grades 4th – 6th will be June 1-5 at the Clyde York 4-H Camp in Crossville. Camp costs of $310 include meals, room, board, most activities and transportation. Activities consist of: swimming, canoeing, fishing, arts & crafts, wildlife, sports, woodworking, tie-dyeing, air brush, rifle range, archery plus many additional camp activities. Activities are designed to be hands-on and fun so that children are actively engaged. Application forms may be picked up at the Smith County 4-H office and will be taken on a first come-first serve basis From April 3rd until the May 8th deadline. Visit our website, smith.tennessee.edu, for more information.
- Adventure Camp- Jr. High, for students in grades 7th and 8th will be May 25-29 also at the Clyde York 4-H Center in Crossville. Cost to attend is $325. The deadline for registration of Junior High Camp is May 1st at the Smith County 4-H office. Come join the Recreation Nation for a week of exciting adventures and challenges guaranteed not to be your average camp! The activities for Jr. High camp include everything from calligraphy and yoga to trap shooting and cupcake decorating.
We also have several specialty camps available.
- June 29-July 2: Electric Camp (Grades 6-7) – UT, Knoxville. Cost: $290. Registration deadline May 1st. Scholarships available. The camp features learning centers using hands-on activities that allow 4-H members to learn by doing.
- June 9-12: Junior High Academic Conference (Grades 6-8) – UT, Knoxville. Cost: $75 Delegates are selected on basis of application and attend on partial scholarships. Application forms are due March 27th.
- May 29-31: FCS Behind the Scenes (Grades 9-12) – Savannah, GA. Cost: $300 + transportation. Campers experience tours and workshops while learning about interior design and architecture.
- July 7-9: Culinary Camp (Grades 6-8), Cookeville, TN. Cost: $150 + transportation. Campers will learn how to make fresh pasta and classic sauces as they “La Vita Italiana!” Registration deadline April 13th.
You can get more information about summer camps and conferences at our website: smith.tennessee.edu, under the 4-H Youth Programs tab. Call 615-735-2900 today to learn more about any of these exciting 4-H camps! Applications are available at the Smith County Extension Office. The office hours are 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
The 4-H Youth Development Program delivers programs through cooperative efforts of the University of Tennessee, Tennessee State University, and public and private sector volunteers. 4-H educational programs are offered to all youth, grades 4-12, on an age-appropriate basis, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation or disability.